Answer this question:
What is the one thing I am committed to completing today?
Why this habit matters
- It encourages you to think strategically about your life
- It keeps you focused on your goals
- It forces you to prioritize
- It serves as a personal promise to yourself
How to make this habit a part of your daily life
- Put it in writing
- Write it in big bold letters on a sheet of paper and hang it on your bedroom or bathroom wall
- Make it part of a unique background for your computer or cell phone
- Use it as the main heading at the top of your journal entry for each day
- Ask the question first thing in the morning
- Use it to start off a morning routine
- Ask the question aloud
- Give an answer on the spot, or write it down in your journal
What are the benefits of this habit in the long run
- Staying focused on our personal commitments gives us a sense of purpose.
- Knowing in advance the work we need to accomplish saves us time, so that we don’t need to evaluate different priorities throughout the day.
- Committing to just ONE thing helps our brain perform more optimally, freeing it from cluttered thoughts and giving it space to concentrate on what we consider the most important goal of the day.