Train your brain to focus on what is important to you right now by asking this question first thing in the morning:
What is the one thing I am committed to completing today?
Why this matters
- It encourages you to think strategically about your life
- It keeps you focused on your goals
- It forces you to prioritize
- It serves as a personal promise to yourself
How to incorporate it into your daily life
- Write it down: take a large sheet of paper and write in big bold letters
- Hang it on your bedroom or bathroom wall so it’s easy to see
- Make it part of a unique background for your computer or cell phone
- Use it as the main heading at the top of your journal entry for each day
- Use it to begin your
- Ask the question aloud
- Give an answer on the spot, or write it down in your journal
What are the long-term benefits
- Staying focused on our personal commitments gives us a sense of purpose.
- Knowing in advance the work we need to accomplish saves us time, so that we don’t waste time evaluating multiple priorities throughout the day.
- Committing to just ONE thing helps our brain perform more optimally, freeing it from cluttered thoughts and giving it space to concentrate on what we consider the most important goal of the day.