It is the question I ask myself every morning:
What is the one thing I am committed to completing today?
Why it’s important to me:
- It simplifies my life. I don’t overwhelm myself with too many choices I need to make on any given day.
- It encourages me to think strategically about my life one day at a time.
- It keeps me focused on my goals instead of getting distracted by other things.
- It forces me to prioritize what it relevant, so that I can relax and follow through without second-guessing myself.
- It serves as a personal promise to myself to do what I’ve identified as critical to my personal goals.
How you can build this simple habit:
- Write it down: take a large sheet of paper and write the question in big bold letters.
- Hang it on your bedroom or bathroom wall so it’s easy to see.
- Ask the question aloud as you are brushing your teeth, stepping into the shower, or getting dressed.
- Give an answer immediately, then continue your morning routine.
Why this question can make a positive impact on your life:
- You train your brain to focus on what’s most important to you, and you don’t waste it on things that are trivial, irrelevant, or distracting in any way.
- You gain a sense of purpose: Being focused on your personal commitments gives your life meaning, helps you understand you have something of value to contribute, and improves the quality of your day to day life.
- You save time when you know in advance the work you need to accomplish, and you don’t need to constantly evaluate multiple priorities throughout the day.
- Your brain can perform more optimally when you commit to just ONE thing because it has more space to concentrate on what you consider your most important goal of the day.